Insets and Tables: container paragraphs with no additional spacing

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Oct 1 14:38:05 PDT 2014

Offline exchanges with other subscribers to this list prompted me to do
an experiment, and it was a success, so I'll share it.

If you prefer to have your tables in dedicated paragraphs, you run into
the problem of unwanted space above the table caused by the otherwise
empty paragraph. Some people minimize the extra space by creating a tag
with 2-pt font and no space above or below, but that makes the paragraph
hard to see, and does still add the extra 2 points. With text insets,
you end up with a similar problem of unwanted space below the inset, due
to the tag of the containing paragraph.

I have long used a trick to place a table in its own paragraph so that
the top of the table aligns with the top of the container paragraph –
zero extra space above the table, in other words. I've learned that the
same trick can be applied to text insets.

For tables, create a pgf tag, e.g., TableAnchor:
Font Size: 12 pt
Color: (something other than black, so it stands out)
Spacing Below Pgf: –12.0 pt (negative 12 points)

and change all yourTable tags to have Spacing Above: –12.0 pt

Insert a blank paragraph where you want the table to start and tag it
TableAnchor.
Insert a table in that paragraph.
The top of the table will be even with the top of the TableAnchor paragraph.

For insets (harder to maintain, depending on inset content), create a
pgf tag in the container document, e.g., InsetAnchor:
Font Size: 12 pt
Color: (something other than black)
Spacing Above Pgf: –12.0 pt

In the inset source document, create a variant tag based on the last
paragraph of the inset (e.g., BodyInsetLast as a variant of Body):
Spacing Below Pgf: –12.0 pt (negative 12 points)
Apply that tag to the last paragraph of the inset.

In the container document, create a new empty paragraph where you want
the inset to go.
Tag the paragraph InsetAnchor.
In that paragraph, type a non-breaking space (to overcome the bug that
reformats the paragraph on updating the inset).
Place your cursor just before the non-breaking space and import the inset.

For both these methods, if you want to move your cursor into the
containing paragraph after the table or inset is in place, use the arrow
keys -- the mouse pointer will only select the table or inset, because
that's the uppermost "layer."

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator