Publish fails in Frame 12

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 07:44:45 PDT 2014

At 09:33 -0500 2/10/14, Theresa de Valence wrote:

>Niels Grundtvig Nielsen suggested the problem might have to do with colour definitions and he discussed his directly modifying the MIF file which solved *his* problem. I've no idea *how* to modify the MIF file, so I'd rather not go there.

I can't help with your specific problem, but as to the above, editing MIF can often be a productive, if last, resort. You need a good text editor, preferably one which does syntax coloring. I use TextWrangler, which is free, but is also I think Mac-only. TextWrangler is a cut-down version of BBedit, which is the premier language-sensitive editor for Mac OS. I'm sure there are equivalents for Windows.

As for understanding the MIF, see the MIF language document that should have come with your FrameMaker distribution. This used to be called the 'MIF Reference Online Manual', but I've not checked to see if it still is. MIF is a text-only language that looks a bit like XML, so easy to search and edit, if a bit verbose.

Save as MIF, but keep the .fm file. That way you still have the source document if it all goes a bit pear-shaped (which FrameMaker will tell you when it re-parses the MIF when asked to open the edited file).

--
Steve