FrameMaker: mysterious font substitution in PDF

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:43:54 PDT 2014

Adobe offers the Helvetica Std OpenType package (roman, oblique, bold, and bold oblique) for 5 users for $99.00, which might be a hand and a foot, but hardly an arm and a leg.
See http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=1424
Of course, if you want the compressed, condensed, light, and black variants, it starts adding up at $29 each, and the Full Family package Robert mentioned starts looking better at its $360 price rather than $522 for 18 individual fonts.

If you can live without the semibold weight of Caslon, you might want to look at the "Type Basics" OpenType package, which includes the four basic variants of the Caslon face, along with 61 other fonts for $99.00 (5 user license). See http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=1902 . The Caslon Pro package with all six variants of the face is $135.00 without the 61 other fonts, which are actually pretty intelligently chosen.

But it seems to me that one advantage of the Adobe type store is that you can buy and download just the variants that you actually need to use, since the discount for most of the family bundles ranges between 14% for small bundles to 31% for the Helvetica Full Family bundle. And then there are the "loss-leader" bundles like the "Type Basics" package, which would cost over $2000 at the full individual prices.

-Fred Ridder