Table Continuation Variable issue

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:52:20 PDT 2015

The issue is that FrameMaker figures out how to lay out table continuations based on the first page of the table. If the table title is only one line without the continuation variable, then each continuation page will have only one line's worth of table title. If that single line can contain the title plus the continuation variable, everything is OK. But if the continuation variable needs to wrap to a second line, it will become invisible because Frame "knows" from the first page of the table that the title is only one line. Nothing mysterious at work here.

BTW, if you were to use the old-fashioned "Sheet x of y" indication of table continuation, you wouldn't have this problem because the table title on each page would be essentially the same length (at least for the first 9 pages while x is a single digit) and would wrap (or not) the same way as the first page.

Just be glad that FrameMaker is able to repeat table tiles on continuation pages in the first place. You could be working with Word where the title appears once and only once because it's not really part of the table and has no way of knowing that the table spans pages.

-Fred Ridder

> From: tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
> To: alan at alphabyte.co.nz; framers at lists.frameusers.com
> Subject: RE: Table Continuation Variable issue
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 14:02:45 -0600
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> So, I entered by text for the TableTitle tag, pressed Shift/Enter in the
> first instance of the title, and then inserted the Table Continuation tag.
> It wraps the title, yes, but in the first instance, it wraps it and
> therefore, although the Continuation variable doesn't display, there is an
> extra line now between the table title and the table. As you scroll through
> the table, then the continued variable is displayed by itself in the second
> line. So, I just moved the location of the soft return to before the last
> word in the title, and OK, it looks a bit funky in the first occurrence, but
> it's doable.
>
> I appreciate the prompt replies from you and David, but what on earth is
> preventing this from wrapping as expected anyway?
>
> Thanks!
>
> TVB
>
> Tammy Van Boening
> Owner/Principal
> Spectrum Writing, LLC
> www.spectrumwritingllc.com
> TammyVB  *AT*  spectrumwritingllc  *DOT*  com

w.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.