What is your experience with FM12 using the 5K Retina screen?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 10:48:03 PDT 2015

At 05:26 -0400 15/4/15, Austin Meredith wrote:

>Because of fading eyesight due to old age, I have been thinking about upgrading my hardware and software. I'd like to purchase a new iMac loaded with the Windows operating system, because of Apple's amazing brilliant precise 5K Retina monitor on which print appears so crisp, and then run FrameMaker 12 under Windows on that iMac. However, when I contacted Adobe about whether it was possible to run FrameMaker 12 at full screen resolution on the 5K Retina monitor, they responded that -- despite the fact that the 5K Retina monitor has been being sold for some time now, they have yet to test this!

Failing Scott's response pointing you in the direction of people with hands-on experience, and if you have a FrameMaker 12 install you can de-license from your current machine, why not try your local Apple store (if you have one) and see if they'd let you trial it on a real machine and 5k display?

Here in the UK I got surprisingly good support from the business team at my nearest Apple store (about two hours from here), even though they knew perfectly well that I was only in for a single machine. In fact it was they who came up with the idea of hosting OS X Snow Leopard under Parallels (which you would need for Windows) and running all my legacy software there. Kept me out of the clutches of the Adobe licensing model, and allowed me to go on using Eduroa for mail.

I don't have a Retina Display, but I have the latest Apple stand-alone big-screen Thunderbolt display (2560 x 1440), and I've not had any issues with FrameMaker 12 on that. I don't know if this is comparable though.

--
Steve