What is your experience with FM12 using the 5K Retina screen?

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Apr 15 12:56:28 PDT 2015

I can't answer your question about FM12 on the 5k Retina but I can say
you are able to run your Windows OS perfectly well without Parallels.
You can use Bootcamp to run Windows natively on the Apple Hardware. I
have Windows installed on my MacBook Pro bootcamp partition and can
select to run Windows or MacOS.

I also take that a step further and run the bootcamp installed Windows
OS through VirtualBox as a VM so I can be running the Mac and its
applications and the few Windows applications I need to run (mostly
Visio and FrameMaker).

The issue you are likely to encounter is having Windows video drivers
that will support hardware you want to use. That may require you to
limit the video quality. The VirtualBox extras that are installed into
Windows also allow me to make use of the Apple drivers for improved
video output when I am running Windows as a VM.

I wouldn't be too hard on Adobe. They gave up on proper Mac support when
they stopped FM development on the Mac from version 8. Anything the
offer now is extra.

Good luck
Alan

On 16/04/15 6:02 am, Robert Lauriston wrote:
> FrameMaker will run on a Mac only in a Windows emulator. Seems like
> most people use Parallels. Here's their knowledge base article on
> Retina displays:
>
> http://kb.parallels.com/en/114700
>
> The native resolution of my 15-inch Retina MacBook's screen is
> 2880x1800, which is about 220 ppi. If I switch it to that mode,
> everything is unreadable and lots of UI elements are too small to
> click accurately. This mode is occasionally useful for editing large
> graphics when I don't have an external monitor.
>
> The MacBook's default mode is 1440x900 HiDPI, which is 2880x1800 but
> each UI element uses four times as many pixels for smoother fonts etc.
>
> I don't find text sharper or more readable on the Retina display than
> I do on a more standard-resolution external display.
>
> I find text sharper and more readable with Windows and ClearType on a
> standard-resolution display than with OS X and Retina.
>
> The OS X UI provides only vague and coarse settings for this stuff.
> SwitchResX is essential if you want fine control.
>
>> On 4/15/15 2:26 AM, Austin Meredith wrote:
>>
>> Because of fading eyesight due to old age, I have been thinking about
>> upgrading my hardware and software. I'd like to purchase a new iMac loaded
>> with the Windows operating system, because of Apple's amazing brilliant
>> precise 5K Retina monitor on which print appears so crisp, and then run
>> FrameMaker 12 under Windows on that iMac. However, when I contacted Adobe
>> about whether it was possible to run FrameMaker 12 at full screen resolution
>> on the 5K Retina monitor, they responded that -- despite the fact that the
>> 5K Retina monitor has been being sold for some time now, they have yet to
>> test this!

Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941