customize what symbols go into the Symbols button on the menu bar in FM 12?

Dave Reynolds dave.reynolds at taitradio.com
Thu Apr 23 14:31:46 PDT 2015

Hi Bjørn

I did this for a colleague a few years ago. I added the degrees, pilcrow
and dot product characters (can't remember exactly why now). Be aware
that I did this inFrameMaker 8, which we are still using, and I don't
know if it will work for Frame 12.

This is how I did it:

1. Find the file menus.cfg. In Frame 8 it is here: C:\Program
Files\Adobe\FrameMaker8\fminit\maker
2. Make a backup copy!!!!
3. Open into a text editor. The top of the file looks like this:

For documentation on this file, see "Customizing Frame Products" Online
Manual
from the Help Contents.

MS Windows FrameMaker Menu Configurations

*** Document Window Main Menu ***

<ReservedMenu !MakerMainMenu    <Label Adobe FrameMaker>>
    <Menu FileMenu      <Label File>>
    <Menu EditMenu      <Label Edit>>
    <Menu FormatMenu    <Label Format>>
    <Menu ViewMenu      <Label View>>
    <Menu SpecialMenu   <Label Special>>
    <Menu GraphicsMenu     <Label Graphics>>
    <Menu TableMenu     <Label Table>>
    <Menu DocumentWindowsMenu <Label Window>>

    *** Pull Right Menus ***
       <Menu NewMenu             <Label New>>
       <Menu ImportMenu          <Label Import>>
       <Menu UtilitiesMenu       <Label Utilities>>
       <Menu QuickStartMenu      <Label Quick Start>>
       <Menu PreferencesMenu       <Label Preferences>>
       <Menu CopySpecialMenu      <Label Copy Special>>
       <Menu ColorMenu       <Label Color>>
       <ReservedMenu !MenusMenu  <Label Menus>>
       <Menu FontMenu          <Label Font>>
       <Menu SizeMenu            <Label Size>>
       <Menu StyleMenu           <Label St&yle>>
       <Menu CharactersMenu         <Label Characters>>
       <Menu ParagraphsMenu         <Label Paragraphs>>
       <Menu PageLayoutMenu         <Label Page Layout>>
       <Menu CustomizeLayoutMenu    <Label Customize Layout>>
       <Menu DocumentMenu    <Label Document>>
       <Menu HeadersAndFootersMenu <Label Headers && Footers>>
       <ReservedMenu !EmbeddedObjectMenu <Label Object>>
       <Menu ListOfMenu        <Label List Of>>
       <Menu IndexOfMenu        <Label Index Of>>
       <Menu SpecialSymbols    <Label Symbols>>
       <Menu FlyoutConditionalText <Label Conditional Text>>
       <Menu FlyoutTrackTextEdits <Label Track Text Edits>>

<Add CharBullet <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharPlusMinus            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharDoubleDagger        <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharEllipsis            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharEndash                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharEmdash                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharRegister            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharCopyright            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharTrademark            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharCent                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharPound                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharYen                    <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharDegree <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharPilcrow <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
    <Add CharDotProduct <Menu SpecialSymbols>>

The section of text in red above controls what appears in the Symbols
drop-down menu. The last three lines are the ones I added.

4. To add new entries to this menu, you need to use the correct syntax
and code for each character. The codes for each character are found in
this file: C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker8\fminit\configui\cmds.cfg

They are under the heading Diacritics, lines 1677 - 1841.

Copy the syntax from the other entries in this menu, but substitute the
code for the character you need.

I do remember trying to add other characters to this menu, but without
success. I'm sorry, but I can't remember which characters didn't work,
and I didn't record this in my notes. You will just have to experiment.

I always close Frame before modifying any files, and restart it after
modifying files, so that it picks up the new information.

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Regards

Dave

On 23/04/2015 7:30 p.m., Studio Smalbro wrote:
> The nice Symbols button on the menu bar will per default have Bullet
> Character, Plus/minus, Double Dagger etc. Is it possible to customize
> the selection of symbols? Running FrameMaker 12, here.
>
> Best regards
> Bjørn Smalbro
> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/dave.reynolds%40taitradio.com

Dave Reynolds
Senior Technical Author
Tait Communications
DDI: 64 3 3581029
Email: dave.reynolds at taitradio.com <mailto:dave.reynolds at taitradio.com>

Tait Communications - Devoted to your cause
www.taitradio.com <http://www.taitradio.com>

--

------------------------------
This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
transmission.
If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
opening any attachments.