Update All for Paragraph Tags in TOC

Linda Garneau Linda.Garneau at CrossMatch.com
Tue Apr 28 11:12:57 PDT 2015

Fred,

I like your idea about creating an empty TOC file and regenerating with the new heading style names. However, I'm not sure I understand how to rename the styles to make this happen. When I do a Find/Change, it lets me Find all items with the current Paragraph Tag, but it doesn't let me Change it the new Paragraph Tag. A little more clarification (and perhaps a screenshot or two) would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Linda

From: Fred Ridder [mailto:docudoc at hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:29 PM
To: Robert Lauriston; Linda Garneau; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Update All for Paragraph Tags in TOC

That's not entirely correct.

When Frame regenerates a TOC, the first thing it does is delete all existing paragraphs that have paragraph tags that end with "TOC", such as Head1TOC and Head2TOC. But any paragraphs that have paragraph tags that do *not* have that ending will not be affected. This allows you to set up a TOC title/heading and potentially a prefatory paragraph or two that will remain in the TOC when you update it.

But yes, any manual changes in paragraphs with ...TOC tags will absolutely be lost when the TOC is updated.

One approach to what Linda is trying to accomplish is to rename the TOC paragraph styles in an *empty* TOC file from the old heading style names (plus the ...TOC suffix, of course) to correspond to the heading style names in the current book, and then regenerating the TOC. Doing the style name changes on an empty file should make the changes simple and quick.

-Fred Ridder
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:08:27 -0700
> Subject: Re: Update All for Paragraph Tags in TOC
> From: robert at lauriston.com<mailto:robert at lauriston.com>
> To: Linda.Garneau at crossmatch.com<mailto:Linda.Garneau at crossmatch.com>; framers at lists.frameusers.com<mailto:framers at lists.frameusers.com>
>
> Create a new TOC from scratch. That will use the tags from the new
> template (assuming it's designed correctly).
>
> You should never edit generated entries in a TOC, any changes will be
> lost the next time you update.
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Linda Garneau
> <Linda.Garneau at crossmatch.com<mailto:Linda.Garneau at crossmatch.com>> wrote:
> >
> > I just successfully imported formatting from our new template TOC to the current document TOC (shown below). In this particular file, the paragraph tags for content headings (HeadVC1, HeadVC2, etc.) are labeled differently from the tags for content headings in the template TOC (HeadTOC1, HeadTOC2, etc). It will let me select one heading or a group of headings to update, but it won't let me do an Update All. It takes FOREVER to update every heading, one by one, to the correct tag in the template. Is there a way I can apply the tags from the new template to all the tags in the current doc at once?

This message, including any attachments, may contain confidential, proprietary, inside and/or legally privileged information. Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then permanently delete it from your system.  You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Cross Match Technologies, Inc., DigitalPersona and the DigitalPersona logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cross Match Technologies, Inc and DigitalPersona, Inc. in the United States and other countries.