Basic question: Book revision best practices

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Feb 5 14:17:22 PST 2015

Yes! I totally agree with using variables for version numbers, release dates, and the like, inside the documents – I was going to mention this too, but forgot!

Similarly, NONE of the files have version numbers “encoded” in their file names.

But, since the files and book for each version are in separate folders, I DON’T have to put the version number in the file name of the book either. If needed, I simply rename the output PDF filename if I want to have the version number in the name.

BTW, using variables works beautifully to update ALL locations where any bit of information needs to be correct, and easily updated for the next version, etc.

And, in some specifications, I use variables for critical stuff that MUST be “consistent” throughout the document. So, while some of my simpler documents have only a few variables, there are others (not long docs either!) that have near 800 to 1000 variables.

As a direct result, the ability to manage variables at the book level using BookVars from Leximation (thank you, Scott Prentice!) is absolutely essential to me. This is my most-oft-used add-on to FrameMaker and heartily endorsed!