Automatic column widths on import of XML file

Fei Min Lorente FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com
Mon Feb 23 09:16:14 PST 2015

Hi folks:

I found this discussion from 2008: https://forums.adobe.com/message/1279946#1279946, and this helpful answer from Russ Ward in 2010: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/577820?tstart=0, but I don't see the solution that I'm looking for. My manager (a software development guy) would like to create an XML file that I can import into FrameMaker that doesn't specify the width of each column. He's taking output from Jira, and people can create tables in the Description field there, but he has no way of knowing how wide the columns are. He figures that if HTML can automatically size the columns to suit the contents, surely FrameMaker can do this too (I'm not so sure).

I've tried it myself, and the column widths in the table template apply when you don't specify widths in XML. If you have more columns than are in your template, it seems to use the width of the last templated column. And the tables might contain graphics as well as text.

Anyone have any better ideas?

I'm using FrameMaker 10 on Windows 7. I think my manager is using Perl or some other scripting language. Jira outputs HTML as well as some other text format.

Fei Min Lorente
Senior Technical Communicator
Medical and Wireless Division
feimin.lorente at onsemi.com<mailto:feimin.lorente at onsemi.com>
+1 519-884-9696 ext. 2297 | Waterloo office
+1 519-831-4931 | mobile
+1 905-631-5724 | fax
www.onsemi.com<http://www.onsemi.com/>