How do you type a dash em in FM12

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Tue Feb 24 10:58:58 PST 2015

In stock Word, it is usually three dashes to get to an em-dash, two dashes gets you an en-dash (a different character). This is using the auto-correct feature, and you can change its behavior pretty easily too.

Plus (at least in Word 2013 and Office 2013 products) typing a "space, dash, space" followed by another word and then a space converts the "space, dash, space" to "space, en-dash, space". Not sure which option selects this behavior, but I don't think it is auto-correct, since the change is elsewhere compared to the text entry location. It is also quite specific - having extra (or missing one) spaces before or after the dash does not work, for example.

In FrameMaker, I just use the ALT 0151 key sequence to get an em-dash. There is also a menu pull-down that allows you to insert various common symbols - not just an em-dash.