Long change bars are created when a table is in between 2 lines

Simon BUCH simon.buch at m-ais.com
Tue Jan 20 04:59:15 PST 2015

Greetings from a chilly Scotland,

I have a strange behaviour with change bars which is quite undesirable,
where change bars become excessively long.  I found this with a
structured XML document, but the same occurs with unstructured
documents, and the behaviour occurs in FM 10, 11 and 12.

The scenario is a simple unstructured document containing the following:
     x a 1
     y b 2
     z c 3
and a table is added to the end of each of the lines.  Select the letter
a, and then select menu item: Format > Style > Change Bar.  The line is
correctly marked with the change bar.  But when same action is performed
for the letter b, the change bar is extended between the 'x a 1' line
including the table.  Repeat the same for the letter c, and now the
whole document has a change bar!

This is NOT useful, as the table content hasn't been changed - it's just
the lines where the table anchor are located that have changed.
I would have expected just the line to be marked with the change bar -
as the MIF of the document clearly has the table anchor outwith the
'change bar' tagged text.

I can add a line-feed character, or add an extra paragraph before the
table anchor to circumvent the long change bar effect, but my client
does not like this.

Could this be considered a bug?