Scripting issues

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 03:27:47 PDT 2015

At 08:22 +0100 8/3/15, Klaus Daube wrote:

>After a look on QuickKeys website I see that the equivalent on Windows would be <http://www.pcshorthand.com/screenshot.html>ShortHand on Windows. I had used this for many years, but switched to AHK in 2005. AHK provides nearly all Windows functions - and the support from ShortHand was limited. And their website looks even worse than mine...

;-) Thanks - I'll look at that too.

>The tough thing about ShortHand is it's price: Single PC License (non-expiring): $149.95

Ouch. Still, if these things work well (and are used sensibly, see below), they can pay for themselves very quickly in saved time.

Sensible use of macros... A long time ago some software guru whose name I forget  wrote a book about software project management. In this book he classified software engineers into groups by character type. I thought about this and realized that I fell into the 'toolmaker' group: I got a big kick out of building software tools that saved time. I also realized that the 'get you' here is the tool that takes longer to build than it returns in time saved through its use ;-) The moral, as in so much else, is 'keep it simple'.

(I looked it up: it was Gerald M Weinberg, 'The Psychology of Computer Programming', Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1971). Long time ago, but still all true.)

--
Steve