How to Choose the Right Image File Format for Print

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Thu Mar 19 12:52:37 PDT 2015

Here is a really good article (I think) about the various graphic
file formats and when to use and not use them.
http://www.creativepro.com/article/how-to-choose-the-right-image-file-format-for-print
I've read dozens of similar articles and this one stands out for its clarity.

This past year I've been using native Illustrator files in my
Framemaker documents almost exclusively and am really happy with the
decision. I previously had used a lot of imported PDF files as
graphics and although they generally did not cause any mishaps,
occasionally I'd have some seriously wonky problems with PDFs
generated from Framemaker files that had PDF files imported by
reference. Just curious as to whether others are using native
Illustrator or Photoshop files instead of traditional .tif, eps, or
(gasp) jpg formats.

Carol