html conversion query - columns

Cathy Giddens Cathy.Giddens at qv.co.nz
Mon Mar 30 15:15:52 PDT 2015

Hi framers.
I'm on Windows 7, FM10, all patched. I've got TCS 3 but quite frankly, I've forgotten what to do with the whole Robohelp side of it. I had 'retired' ie, quit, but came back for this project, to the company that purchased the data that I published for the previous employer for 19 years.

Background
Old job but for new employer, one year contract. I'm creating html, for a new website (containing book content which was previously hardcopy and pdf, access will be by subscription to more or less the identical customer base who were used to my nice pdf which had navigation home page, toc's, chapter tocs, index, cross-references etc etc. I have learnt how to tweak a css sheet and keep a permanent version of it, rather than the fresh version created by FM each time, to overcome some of the unwanted style conversion issues. To overcome the blunt instrument that is the search facility on the website (key word searching only so if the exact phrase isn't found, no result), I'm keeping the index. In FM this is in 3 columns, with a Framescript set of ChapterTOC  cross references for the A, B, C's, creating a key to jump to the required letter. (The GroupTitlesIX aren't part of the upload process so this is a workaround).

My question
How do I get the 3 index columns to translate into the html markup, so my index is useable instead of 1 column by 6 metres long on my screen (that's 20 feet). The css sheet only covers the content style, the column information gets dropped out altogether. The markup in the html pages doesn't seem to include anything relating to columns, according to the web designer who's had a look at it. (One thought I had was to get the index populating into a 3 column table but this isn't working).

The css sheet will be 'permanent' so I can do some edits in there, if I only knew what. The web developers don't know Framemaker, they've been working on the whole subscription side and writing the uploader that installs my html files to the website, and my input was only sought well through the project...

Many thanks for any suggestions

Cathy Giddens
Quantity Surveyor

Phone: +64 21 268 5289
qvgroup.qv.co.nz<http://www.qvgroup.qv.co.nz>
This email message and any attachments contain information that is confidential and may be legally privileged. Quotable Value's consent to receive information electronically is not implied by the fact that you have received this email. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Quotable Value. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Thank you.