Is FM11 completely backward compatible with FM10?

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Tue May 5 10:28:29 PDT 2015

Adobe has changed the FrameMaker binary file format with every
FrameMaker release since 7.2. On average, this means a new binary file
format every 18 months (the length of the historical FrameMaker release
cycle).

FrameMaker has maintained forward compatibility (each release opens
binary files from all previous releases), but backwards compatibility is
tedious.

If you are working with FrameMaker binary files, you will need to "save
as FM10" from FM11. This is non-trivial, especially when working with
large numbers of files.

If you are working with XML files, you may have complete backwards
compatibility.

I hope this helps!

-Alan
----

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532