Is FM11 completely backward compatible with FM10?

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Tue May 5 11:14:07 PDT 2015

I've had differences of opinion and experience with others over the
stability of FrameMaker 12 versus 11 (or previous releases). Stability
appears to vary widely with different source files, practices,
computing/network environment, etc. For example, I have a client who had
a stable platform with FrameMaker 11, but is in tears because FrameMaker
12 crashes so frequently and unpredictably.

Historically, FrameMaker's sweet spot has been as a workgroup tool ...
deployed to multiple seats within an organization. But Adobe has always
sold FrameMaker as a desktop tool. And Adobe's insistence that
"everybody migrate every 18 months" goes against workgroup requirements
of stability and predictability.

Having said that, I like FrameMaker 12. I just wish it were easier to
maintain workgroups on older versions (including availability of new
licenses for older versions), for organizations that wish to maintain a
stable, predictable environment and workflow.

-Alan
---

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532