Is FM11 completely backward compatible with FM10?

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Tue May 5 11:27:58 PDT 2015

Hi Jim,

I wonder where you would buy FM 10 -- this is not available any more. I
have been looking for a license recently, but I could not find any.
You can still get FM11, but not directly from Adobe...

AFAIK it is possible to buy the newest version (FM 12) and to use this
license to install an older version ("downgrading"). You should ask the
Adobe support how it works, of course. This way you could stay with your
FM 10 workflow.

FM 11 has some new features like the code view, or the line numbers, and
so on. Depends if this is useful for you.
(Alan Houser described them here:
http://www.groupwellesley.com/2012/08/26/a-look-at-adobe-framemaker-11/)

Or maybe you buy one license of FM 12 for the new colleague and the
upgrade from FM 10 to FM 12.
In this case, you also have to consider that other people working for
you, like translators or typesetters, would be forced to change their
version.
FM 12 still has problems with the CMYK output by the way, if I remember
the recent discussion here in this forum correctly (FM 10 works fine!).

I heard that FM 13 will be launched next year...

Anyway, both writers must use the same version.

Best regards -- Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Jim Duszynski: