Help Creation Flow and Upgrading from version 7.2 to the latest version

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue May 12 11:57:10 PDT 2015

Fundamentally, unstructured FrameMaker has changed very little. I've
opened FM6 in recent versions and had zero problems. New features have
been added but old things all work pretty much the same.

FM8 switched to Unicode. Anything using the old Zapf Dingbats that was
bundled with FM will need to be redone. Any other symbol or dingbat
font may need cleanup.

FM9 introduced a new UI layered on the old one (when you drill down,
you may still see dialogs unchanged from FM5), which broke a lot of
keyboard shortcuts, many of which they never fixed. If you're used to
driving everything from the keyboard and never touching the mouse,
you'll probably hate it and have a bad month or two getting used to
constantly using the mouse.

FM12 added the core features from RoboHelp (look for "multi-channel
publishing" in the docs), so you probably won't need to upgrade
ePublisher or buy RoboHelp.