creating user guides in an agile environment

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Fri May 15 10:48:39 PDT 2015

I've worked with varying degrees of "agility" including strict,
by-the-book Scrum. Documentation *must* be loosely coupled and
sometimes must follow one or more sprints after the development.

My major example for why this is was an update to OpenLDAP that took
the developer a few days to implement. Documenting migration to the
new version took me over two months because it was so complex and had
so many variables.

The big plus of strict Scrum for me was that I never had any
surprises. All work that developers were doing was defined at the
beginning of each sprint, and I could see from JIRA or Bugzilla what
was ready for me to start work (typically when the developer assigned
the task to QA). That was the only time I've ever known for sure that
my documentation was 100% complete.