[Framers] preventing 2-word product name from line breaks ?

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Thu Apr 7 09:41:52 PDT 2016

   You could always make a "Product-Name-Var.fm" file from a utterly
   stripped MIF and then manage the BOOK-wide Import that way. Further, if
   my info design actually kept variables 'discrete' like that (i.e., a
   file NEVER has a variable it doesn't use) then I'd parse the
   variable-storage templates to match.

   That said, I do not see the benefit of chunking (or 'scoping') variable
   template files. Maybe there's a happy medium between "all variables in
   one FM" and "each variable in its own FM" approach, but lacking the
   energy (or confidence?) to find that  medium, I'd go with a single file
   for all. Which is why a good variable-naming convention that's easy to
   rapidly type to insert (with CTRL+0) is as crucial as it is for
   conditional names (CTRL+4/5) and style names (CTRL+8/9): if all my
   variable names have their first two or three characters unique, it's
   super fast... and thus, I don't care if I have 50 variable definitions
   in every file.

   YMMV; and this, of course, doesn't cover situations where, due to reuse
   strategies, a variable value might not be identical for each FM file in
   the BOOK file (e.g., a compiled book of product specs where each
   chapter is a different product name).

   HTH;

   David