[Framers] Using Frame as a little CMS

Tornquist, Patti patti.tornquist at teamquest.com
Fri Apr 22 08:57:37 PDT 2016

We are using insets for reuse (and we use unstructured FM12).  So for content that is used in multiple places, we make it into a text inset and then we can edit in one place and use it in multiple places.

We log the insets in a spreadsheet by fm file name, topic title, writer, and last change date, and then we regularly run a book of books to identify text insets and determine if we're missing any in the spreadsheet.

We have two main problems:
- There is no way, other than our spreadsheet, to see where the text insets are used.  So if inset A is used in book A, B, and C, we can't tell that other than through the spreadsheet. You can't click the text inset and see where it's used.
- Also, if we need to find information and we search the book or books for that string, we can't find it as text insets aren't searchable.

Also, we are evaluating Flare and looking into structured Frame.  We know that a tool change will not be easy, however, so we want to be certain it meets our needs in doc and helps the business.

Thanks, Patti