[Framers] heading text in "Running H/F #" - clever truncation ?

Monique Semp monique.semp at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 09:01:07 PDT 2016

Hello, Framers,

For an FAQ doc, I’ve broken the usual “rule” of sensible-length headings because I’m making them be the full text of a question. So with the font size, the headings are often 3- or 4-lines.

The problem is that I have my master pages configured to include the heading text in the recto footers, via the “Running H/F #” variable. And with these very long headings, the text overruns the available space in the footer, pushes the footer “artwork” (just a nice pipe line between the heading text and the page number) to the wrong spot, and completely obliterates the page number.

So, what sorts of schemes/work-arounds have people created to deal with this sort of issue?

(I can imagine creating a new heading style for the long-winded headings, creating a new hidden-text heading style for the truncated text that I’d wish in the footer, and then adding the style for the truncated heading to the “Running H/F #” definition, which already has multiple styles to account for, for example, “heading 1” and “heading 1 page”. But this is certainly a hassle, and won’t be at all obvious to some other writer, or my future self.)

Thanks for suggestions,
-Monique