[Framers] [OT] Dublin literary pub crawl? Writers Museum?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 03:20:45 PDT 2016

At 04:31 -0400 1/7/16, John Sgammato wrote:

>My  wife and I are vacationing in Ireland.

Hurrah! ;-)

>Today we're in Dublin, and tonight we may join the literary pub crawl.
>Does anyone have experience with the pub crawl or the Writers Museum?

Not that, but I have a fair bit of experience of pub crawls in Dublin ;-) Like the time I set off to walk the four miles to a favorite pizza joint in Ballsbridge but was lured into O'Donoghues Bar for a quick Guinness on the way. That was 7:30 pm; I never made it to the pizza place, and got out of O'Donoghues at 11:30 having drunk seven pints of Guinness, only the first of which I'd paid for. By the end of the evening the customers were packed so tight that the bar staff had to stand on the bar and hand the drinks down over people's heads.

>Any other attractions we mustn't miss?

Dublin has some great street statuary, all of which have hilarious nicknames. The LUAS (tram) is fun to travel on. I'd recommend restaurants but the last time I was in Dublin was 2004 and eating places tend to have a short life. The National Galley of Ireland if you're into art, the Post Office if you're into history, or any of the museums. Sheridan's if you're into cheese. Bernard Shaw's house in Portobello. The Grand Canal towpath. For that matter, the whole of Ireland - I love it ;-)

<http://sheridanscheesemongers.com>

>I'll see some of the sites in Ulysses, but my wife would never endure doing
>the whole walk.

Pretty much like the book, then ;-)

--
Steve [ex long-distance walker, mostly in Ireland]