[Framers] OTS DITA and CMS

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Jul 26 14:41:35 PDT 2016

Flare would make it a lot easier to manage those projects. Its
FrameMaker import is quite good. Docs are defined by graphical TOC
trees of topic file icons. You can swap topics in or out quickly and
easily to match whatever actually ships.

What revision control system are the developers using? You could put
the docs in the codeline along with the features and generate the docs
as part of the build, automatically ensuring that the docs match the
release. I think that accounts for the popularity of Markdown /
AsciiDoc / reStructuredText plus Jekyll / Hugo / whatever despite
their relative crudeness compared with popular authoring toolchains.

Personally I would argue for more sophisticated release management
instead. "Oh, we shipped? Everybody scramble!" is a pretty good sign
you're not following best practices.