[Framers] ExtendScript for save as text, for Git usage ?

Monique Semp monique.semp at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 08:21:48 PDT 2016

> Have you found the Track Changes and Track Text Edits features in FM inadequate in some ways?
No, not at all... *when I’m working in FrameMaker*. And I’ve also used the PDF compare utility, which has improved immensely over the years.
But I’m wishing to do something totally different, outside of the FrameMaker/Acrobat environment: see the diffs of modified files while using a Git GUI client to scroll through a bunch of commits. I wish to see the diffs in the FrameMaker files in the same way that I see the diffs in source code files. But diff programs (whether built into a given Git client such as SourceTree, or separate programs such as BeyondCompare that can be integrated into most Git clients) cannot do their work on the binary FM files; they operate on ascii/text-based files.
And as others have pointed out, there are many ExtendScript snippets “out there” that provide good examples of how to perform an action in response to an event. So (when I have the time) I can adapt those scripts to save a file as text (the action) whenever a FM file is saved (the event).
Thanks everyone for the big MIF education; whenever I get around to doing this (likely not for at least several weeks), I’ll post the results.
-Monique