[Framers] FrameMaker 7.2 Not Responding on New PC

Frank Stearns franks at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 1 11:57:42 PST 2016

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016, Kevin Ryan wrote:

> Thanks to all for the tips.

Here's one more: get the *free* Oracle VM VirtualBox emulator. There
are several different versions of hosts and emulations in the
Virtualbox family; we have the XP emulator running on Win7 Pro.

In the emulator we run several legacy applications, including FM7,
that either ran poorly or not at all under Win7. (FM7 would work for a
short while in Win7, but then would get so slow it had to be stopped
and restarted.)

After a year the emulation environment has so far proven flawless and
is fast enough to do real-time audio. You can mount file systems
outside the emulator; and you can copy and paste between apps inside
and outside of the emulator. The emulator can be selectively connected
to resources of the host system, such as USB ports. The only flaw is
that it does not support access to a firewire port.

> persists, I will try the XP mode.

The internal emulations and "compatibilty modes" provided by the newer
Windows are very hit and miss. Some of the modes that Win7 suggests
after it "looks" at an old app are completely wrong; or, you sometimes
intentionally run the "wrong" emulation to get something to work. The
VM approach has proven so much more reliable.

Good luck with it. I remember the panic felt when our new Win7 box
refused to run our database program (with customer records going back
to the mid 1970s) and the horror at the thought of a six month project
to re-build that complex database. It was a bright and sunny day
indeed when that same old database came right up in the XP environment
provided by Virtualbox.

Frank

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
*** IXGEN 7-10 for FrameMaker 10/11/12 IS HERE! ***
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
1-435-275-8981  http://www.fsatools.com
NEW WEBSITE SOON!