[Framers] Linking to a specific page in a PDF file

jang at jang.nl jang at jang.nl
Thu May 12 12:26:16 PDT 2016

I have used a reliable method for cross-deliverable linking in PDF using Hypertext markers. One set of markers defines the named destinations, using "newlink XXX". With this method, I set the markers to have names I can figure out without resorting to investigating tons of destinations in Acrobat Pro. Also, I can avoid creating named destinations for everything, which blows up the size of the PDF files.

On the referencing side, I use Hypertext markers with the text "gotolink XXX" if it is in the same PDF or "openlink DDD:XXX" in case it is a separate PDF document. There are a couple of snags when PDFs are created from books with multiple chapters, each with their own named destinations, but this can be made to work.

Of course I am much too lazy to enter all these markers manually, so I have scripted everything. Works wonderfully.

If there is enough interest in this, I can convince Adobe to organize a webinar where I explain and demo this technique. The same markers are also used for HTML5 marking, where multiple deliverables are created from separate books and still jump to the right locations in these separate HTML5 products.

Let me know if you want to see this.

Jang F.M. (Yes, those are my middle names) Graat