[Framers] reused content for different products - best practices ?

Shmuel Wolfson shmuelw1 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:05:00 PDT 2016

I don't think you need structured FM for this. You can share the
appendix chapter in all the relevant books and mark the differences
between the products with conditional text. As far as variables, you can
either have multiple variables for the different products (product1,
product2, product3) and mark them with conditional text, or you can use
the same variable name for all products and import a "template" for each
product that contains the variable definitions for each product. I
usually prefer the 1st option.

I would only use text insets for parts of a chapter, not an entire
chapter. You can use conditional text in text insets as well.

If you do localization (translation), than it makes sense to go with
structured FM.

--
Shmuel Wolfson
Technical Writer