[Framers] structured content - not always called for

Keith Soltys keith.soltys at tmx.com
Wed May 18 06:07:03 PDT 2016

Good points Monique. I'm in a similar situation, being a lone writer, and not having the time or resources to implement a structured workflow.

I deal with two main streams of documentation. For my operations guides and online help I use FrameMaker and WebWorks ePublisher. There's little reuse involved and I can use text insets to manage that. For our last major platform upgrade, I did a content analysis using DITA's concept/task/reference model to restructure the documentation and got good comments on the approach.

The other stream involves many technical specifications which go out to our clients. For these, I have to use Word. I've found that Thirty Six Software's SmartDocs tool gives me most of the benefits I'd get from moving to DITA and is much easier to set up and use. Yes, if I had a group of four or five writers, I'd probably move to DITA, but that's not going to happen.

Regards
Keith

--
Keith Soltys