[Framers] OT: Copyright rules for scripts

Klaus Daube frame at daube.ch
Mon May 23 09:53:01 PDT 2016

   Dear Framers!

   3 years ago I ordered and got an ExtendScript according to my
   specifications for which I paid quite an amount. The author placed a
   note in the script:

   // Copyright 2013, Author.Company.Com. All rights reserved.

   May I (as purchaser of a specific work) use this work as a base for own
   work which I then offer to the public on my website?

   With all this plagiarism discussion in the back of my neck: When using
   other people's work (which normally does not contain any copyright
   notice) I have started to include a note such as:

   Based on xxx.jsx (http://...).

   fo example:

   function FindAndReplaceString (activeDoc, findString, replaceString,
   loopMax)

   // Source: Russ Ward in
   https://forums.adobe.com/message/3888653#3888653

   I have seen © notices in script souce such as the following - which is
   clear to allow what I intend to do:

   // © 2010 Matt Di Pasquale

   //

   // Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
   obtaining a copy

   // of this software and associated documentation files (the
   "Software"), to deal

   // in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
   the rights

   // to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
   sell

   // copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software
   is

   // furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

   //

   // The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
   included in

   // all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

   But such long statements are rare. The script example is 90 lines, of
   which the complete © notice is 20 lines.

   We all build our work with the help from others - or we need to close
   all forums. IMHO it is fair use to state the source of the bricks which
   I use to build a new script. But does this violate the claims of the
   author mentioned on top?

   ~~

   Docu + Design Daube; Schäracher 11; CH-8053 Zürich

   Technical documentation & consultancy; On-line and paper

   F: +41-44-422 86 25  E: ddd at daube.ch  W: www.daube.ch