[Framers] Pros/Cons: Separate file per chapter, or one REALLY BIG FILE for an entire book

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Tue Nov 8 06:06:48 PST 2016

PS:
The only time FrameMaker did not work well was when I imported a multiterm database export file (as xml via structured application).
I had to split up the original xml into 3 parts, and although this was only text, it took FrameMaker more than one hour to open one of the parts (as the resulting file had several thousand pages). So, although it was fun to set up the application and the DTD for it, I had to give up the idea of using FrameMaker for editing this file...

Best regards -- Tino H. Haida

Hi Tino,

A good solution may have been to use XSLT to split the xml into separate FrameMaker documents so that you didn't have to deal with such a large file. Perhaps you could split on each letter of the alphabet. If you need any XSLT help, please let me know. Thank you.

Best regards,
Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.