[Framers] Hyperlinks

Fred Ridder DocuDoc at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:21:10 PST 2016

What you describe is completely consistent with the way Acrobat's implicit hyperlink feature ("Create links from URLs") works. If this preference item is enabled in Acrobat's Preferences dialog (General page), Acrobat treats anything that looks like a URL (e.g., any string that begins with "HTTP:" or "HTTPS:") as if it's a hyperlink. This feature usually works OK if the URL is all on one line but falls on its face if the URL is split across two (or more) lines because as far as Acrobat can tell the line feed constitutes a whitespace character that delimits the URL string.

The proper way to handle URLs in FrameMaker is to explicitly code them in the source files with hypertext markers. With that mechanism the marker explicitly contains the actual URL (which does not need to exactly match what appear in the text of the document), and the string in the text that serves as the active link (i.e. the hot spot) is explicitly delimited by a character style that you apply. (If you don't apply the character style, the hot spot extends from the marker itself to the end of the paragraph, which is generally not desirable.) In practice the actual process is simpler than it sounds, but if you need the actual steps I can write them up for you.

Yes, it's much easier to do nothing in the source file and let Distiller do all the work for you, but Distiller has no ability to mind-read your intentions when a URL doesn't fit the pattern it knows to interpret as a URL.

-FR