[Framers] Cross-reference setup help

Tammy Van Boening tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue Oct 11 14:58:49 PDT 2016

OK All,

Please go gently. It's been a LONG time since I had to set up a new x-ref
format that wasn't based on <$chapnum>, and I don't remember the little
nuances to getting autonumbering in an x-ref as a result. Here is what I
have:

1.) A paragraph tag named SectionNumber that is autonumbered as S:Section
<n+>< =0>< =0>< =0>.
2.) A paragraph tag named ChapterNumber that is autonumbered as S:Chapter <
><n+>< =0>< =0>.
3.) A paragraph named FigureNumber that is autonumbered as S:Figure <
><n>-<n+>< >:\t.
4.) A paragraph tag named TableNumber that is autonumbered as S:Table <
><n>-<><n+>:\t.

A hard return after SectionNumber results in a new paragraph tagged as
SectionTitle.
A hard return after ChapterNumber results in a new paragraph tagged as
ChapterTitle.

Here's the rub:
In my book setup, I have a File named <topic>_Section that uses the
SectionNumber and SectionTitle. The next file is the first chapter in this
first section, so I have the Chapter Number for this file also set to
Chapter 1. The remaining chapters are Chapters 2, 3, 4, and so on, so I have
the Chapter Numbering Properties for each of these chapters set to Continue
Numbering From Previous Chapter in Book. So, I then have a second section
with a file named <topic>_Section that uses the SectionNumber and
SectionTitle. The next file is the first chapter in this second section, so
I have the Chapter Number for this file also set to Chapter 1. The remaining
chapters are Chapters 2, 3, 4, and so on, so I have the Chapter Numbering
Properties for each of these chapters set to Continue Numbering From
Previous Chapter in Book . . . you get the drift.

I have the following x-ref formatted: <Link>Chapter <$chapnum>,
“<$paratext>,” on page <$pagenum><Default ¶ Font> and when I select a
ChapterTitle paragraph tag, I indeed get the correct number, such as Chapter
1, "Getting Started with the First Widget" on page x as my chapter files use
Chapter Numbering. I want to be able to set up an x-ref format for the
SectionTitle paragraph tag that gives analogous results - i.e., See Section
1, "All about the first widget," on page x, but because my Section files
have to be set to Chapter 1, I cannot use the <$chapnum> option.

I have tried mucking around with every format that  makes sense, but for the
life of me, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong to get the section
number incorporated into the x-ref. I wind up with See Section , "All about
the first widget," on page x - i.e., no  number.

TIA!!

TVB