[Framers] OT: Adobe Tool Question

Mike Wickham mewickham at cox.net
Fri Sep 9 18:03:39 PDT 2016

FrameMaker is an old program and EPS is an old all-purpose kind of
format. It acts as an envelope for both vector and bitmap graphics,
without automatically converting vector to bitmap. If you want maximum
resolution on printing press, vector is preferable for line drawings
because it is infinitely resizable without pixelation. EPS is also the
only way to keep Windows GDI from automatically converting CMYK graphics
to RGB. If your destination is printing press, CMYK is preferred over
RGB. EPS was also the only way to keep Windows from converting Pantone
colors to RGB. So, if your destination is printing press, EPS graphics
are still the safest way to go (although PDF graphics can also do the
job now).

I hope I got that all right.

Mike Wickham