[Framers] Total Page Count Variable

Tammy Van Boening tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Wed Sep 14 15:17:42 PDT 2016

John,

Here is some tried and true instructions that I have saved in some old FM
tips and tricks folder. I have used this approach successfully, but others
might have a more elegant one.

HTH,

TVB

To show the total page count of a book in a header or footer:

1. Set up the files in the book for continuous page numbering.

2. Display the master page for the last page of the last file in the book,
and place the insertion point in an otherwise empty paragraph of the header
or footer.

3. Insert the Page Count variable by choosing Format > Headers & Footers >
Insert Page Count.

Page Count variable in a separate paragraph

4. Create a new paragraph format for the paragraph with the page count and
store it in the Paragraph Catalog. Having a unique format for this paragraph
makes it easier to cross-reference it later.

5. If you don't want the page count to appear where you put it, either
resize the text frame so the page count is hidden or set the paragraph's
color to White.

6. In the other files in the book, insert cross-references to the paragraph
with the page count on each master page of each document. The
cross-reference format should use the <$paratext> building block.

7. Put the cross-references in the header or footer on each master page of
each file in the book, including the last one.