[Framers] Are there limits on Conditional Expressions? If so, what are they?

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 07:32:10 PDT 2017

No one wants to tackle that wall o' text, huh? :)

How's this, then. Could someone explain why these two expressions don't
have the same effect, even though (to my eyes) they are logically identical?

This one works:

not ( "DocIss" or "Internal" or "LP" or "LPvA" or "LPvB" or "LPvC" or "NoSeeEm"
or "SAS4" or "SAS4vA" or "SAS4vB" or "SAS4vC" or "TBP" or "WriterNote" ) or (
"LITEvA" and "LP" ) and not ( "Internal" or "TBP" ) or ( "LITEvA" and
"LPvA" ) and not ( "Internal" or "TBP" ) or ( "LITEvA" and "LPvB" ) and not (
"Internal" or "TBP" ) or ( "LITEvA" and "LPvC" ) and not ( "Internal" or "TBP"
) or ( "LITEvA" and "SAS4" ) and not ( "Internal" or "TBP" ) or ( "LITEvA"
and "SAS4vA" ) and not ( "Internal" or "TBP" ) or ( "LITEvA" and "SAS4vB" ) and
not ( "Internal" or "TBP" ) or ( "LITEvA" and "SAS4vC" ) and not (
"Internal" or "TBP" )

This one doesn't:

not ( "DocIss" or "Internal" or "LP" or "LPvA" or "LPvB" or "LPvC" or "NoSeeEm"
or "SAS4" or "SAS4vA" or "SAS4vB" or "SAS4vC" or "TBP" or "WriterNote" ) or (
"LITEvA" and (( "LP" or "LPvA" or "LPvB" or "LPvC" or "SAS4" or
"SAS4vA" or "SAS4vB"
or "SAS4vC" ) and not ( "TBP" or "Internal" ) ) )

Specifically, I have some text marked with LP + LITEvA + TBP, LPvA + LITEvA
+ TBP, and SAS4 + LITEvA + TBP that is hidden if I use the first expression
(which is what I want) and showing if I use the second (which is NOT what I
want).

I'll use the first one (as it works correctly), but it is hard to build,
hard to read, and I'm still not sure if I have it built to address all
possible situations (although it works for the ones I've identified). But
I'd still like to understand why the second one doesn't work. Is this a
quirk of how FrameMaker interprets conditional expressions?

And I'd also still like to know if there's a limit to how long an
expression can be. Since I have to add at least 2 new ones now, the
question is becoming important.

--
Lin Sims