[Framers] "Secret" Freeze Pagination Feature

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Tue Apr 25 09:09:59 PDT 2017

At 03:20 AM 4/25/2017, you wrote:
>My question to you:
>- Has anyone ever used this feature when it was still present in the
>UI many versions back?
>- Is anyone still using it?
>- What is the use case scenario that you can think of where it still
>might be useful?

Stephan, I'm the client for whom Rick scripted a marvelous solution
for some of the limitations of Frame's Freeze Pagination
functionality. I had no idea of the limitations until he enumerated
them in his email to you. His script makes the whole process of using
point pages a miraculously simple operation.

I write documentation for America's rail industry, and it relies
heavily on quarterly updates to manuals critical to moving freight.
The manuals are printed in their entirety once a year; quarterly
"changed pages" are released and users are expected to replace the
pages in their manuals with the changed pages (all changed text is
identified with change bars). Thus pagination must be kept constant.
If new content is added, point pages must be created to house that
content so that subsequent pages are unaffected. At the beginning of
a new cycle, the book is unfrozen, point pages are incorporated back
into the newly repaginated book, and the process begins again.

The rail industry has historically lagged behind technology, and I
don't see that changing (although electronic sensors are a hot item
in an effort to make rail transport more safe). I'm still modifying
documents that were originally written in the late 1800s. The
industry makes its manuals available as PDFs and they sell well.
However, there are federal quality assurance requirements that demand
hardcopy manuals exist and be kept up to date. Until the old school
engineers and execs retire, hardcopy manuals will persist.

I would encourage (beg?) Adobe to not remove freeze pagination and
point page functionality. (If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.)
But I'm not sure it makes sense to spend research dollars to improve
the feature. I suggest letting third-party providers like Rick
continue writing scripts for the very few of us that use the
technology. That hopefully will meet everyone's needs and promote
free enterprise.

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable
Phone: 719-948-3773