[Framers] Can I make a setting that will launch 4 books?

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Thu Aug 3 09:13:30 PDT 2017

* Drag-select the group, then Ctrl-O, saves a few clicks, especially for
multi-multi-file projects.

* The mention of using a batch file earlier in this thread reminded me that
in the olden days of wood-fired UNIX FM, we'd pass filenames on the command
line that invoked FM and opened the specified files. So, I searched Google
with "command line options to open framemaker with specified file" (sans
quotes) and found some interesting stuff. This one caught my eye:
http://www.daube.ch/docu/fm-documentation/FM/fm04-CreateOnlineDoc.pdf.
Here's the kernel, on p22: Specifying a File to Open on Start-Up
Command-line options allow you to specify a file to open automatically when
FrameViewer starts.

I don't know if Windows FM accepts command line modifications. Perhaps
someone on the list does. Windows batch files can accept command lines with
parameters. One approach to emulate the UNIX FM feature would be to create
files with specific last-visited file lists, hard-code them into individual
batch files, and launch the specific batch file which performs a
copy/overwrite operation on the appropriate FM configuration file, then
invokes FM. A slightly more advanced approach would be to create a smarter
batch file that accepts parameters, and when launched, it copy/overwrites
the configuartion file with the appropriate last-visited file list, then
invokes FM.