[Framers] Save as PDF

Austin Meredith kouroo at kouroo.info
Sun Aug 20 14:45:17 PDT 2017

   > Thanks for the community-service alert, Austin.

   > Would it be useful/possible to incorporate this useful information
   about

   > the possibility of the problem reading the document on Chrome

   > in or with the document itself?

   Unfortunately, no, that would  simply not be possible for, as you can
   see in this link, we have thousands upon thousands of such PDFs already
   on the internet. For us to replace these existing materials with new
   documents containing alerts and warnings would require a number of
   years of labor and cost literally millions of dollars:

   [1]http://www.kouroo.info/kouroo/ActiveIndex.pdf

   > We had a different problem with Save as PDF.

   > We use alternate-row shading in tables. In some table cells,

   > seemingly randomly, the text goes behind the shading, becoming
   invisible.

   > We have no solution so we Print to PDF like in the old days.

   Unfortunately, this PostScript solution gobbles up notes and footnotes
   and references, suppressing them from the documents. Only Save as PDF
   preserves the whole document with its authentications and scholarly
   references. Imagine how unscholarly the following document would seem,
   if we were to use Print to PDF and the PostScript engine were to
   suppress, as it would, the following scholarly reminder:

   DISAMBIGUATION: Harris of Cleveland, associated with John Brown, was a
   different person from this James Henry Harris of Chatham and North
   Carolina associated with John Brown. Yet a 3d James H. Harris, with no
   known connection to John Brown, would be in a different black regiment
   in the Civil War and would belatedly be awarded the Medal of Honor.

   [2]http://www.kouroo.info/kouroo/thumbnails/H/JamesHHarris