[Framers] Text inset links in PDFs in FM 2017 and no updates to purchased version

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Fri Feb 3 16:24:39 PST 2017

At 05:13 PM 2/3/2017, Syed Zaeem Hosain wrote:
>Lin Sims said:
> > ... and if you stop paying the subscription, you will not be able
> to open or edit your files in Frame anymore.
>And right there is the reason for why subscription purchases simply
>cannot be a good idea! IMHO.

Agreed. I was badly caught by not know this when I cancelled my CC
subscription a few years ago. My licensed versions of Photoshop and
Illustrator didn't care that the files were created in a newer
version (other than alerting me to possible consequences) and opened
them just fine. However, none of my InDesign files would open in my
older licensed version. I was (at the time) able to find an online
service that would convert, for free, the files to a format that I
COULD open, but it was a laborious and irritating waste of time.
(Plus Rick Q generously helped me out with files that I caught after
the free service shut down.) How much effort would it have cost Adobe
to make it abundantly clear that there was no backward compatibility
to the files created with CC? It would not have taken me long to open
each of my InDesign files while my subscription was still working and
downsave them.

Carol