[Framers] devolution: Framemaker to Word

Bill Greve Bill.Greve at WorldPay.us
Fri Jan 27 04:24:29 PST 2017

For [reasons], I have a large number of Framemaker books (FM11) I need to convert to Word docs.

I've just pulled up the Mif2Go user's guide to try and figure out how that works. Does anyone have any Mif2Go experience to share? Tips/process/etc...

Is there anything else anyone can recommend?

My first thought is I need to create a Word template with style names mirroring the FM template. Then save FM files as rtf and somehow apply the Word template to successfully update the styles??? I'm expecting this to be slow and tedious.

Majority of books are under 40 pages and just a handful of chapters that I'll just combine into a single Word doc. Then there's a decent handful of a few hundred pages with 15-20 chapters and appendices that makes me shudder thinking about maintaining these in Word. Is using Word's Master Document a viable solution for the more unwieldy FM books? If so, is it worth explaining to the people I'm handing them off to and no longer supporting?

Thank you,
Bill