[Framers] Converting to Word for Review

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 07:20:17 PDT 2017

Nope no access to FM12, plus I've used a feature not supported by FM12,
namely conditional columns in multiple tables.

I've gotten around the one file at a time by creating a new document and
importing by copy each of the non-generated files in the books. Having the
tag names come over to the RTF is more useful than having it look (almost
but not quite) the same in Word as it does in the PDF.

Plus (and I forgot to mention this), all our graphics are SVGs, which is
NOT supported by Word, so they look horrible and are frequently out of
place. The page breaks get a bit weird, too.

As to the nightmare -- you have NO idea. I use the same set of files with a
set of fairly complicated conditional expressions to generate 3 separate
books in both an internal and external version, for a total of 6 PDFs. I
now have to figure out how to create 6 separate Word files from these, and
they are NOT small or simple files. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to
finish the conversions before I leave. I feel bad for the
designers/developers who will have to deal with these, since they will have
to remember to update multiple files. <shrug> Still, at the point it's
their problem, not mine. I wish them luck.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Steve Rickaby <
srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> At 08:49 -0400 11/7/17, Lin Sims wrote:
>
> >I'm having to do this now for multiple documents because I'm being laid
> off
> >and the developers will be doing the documentation from now on, and they
> >only use Word. It's something of a nightmare no matter which way you
> choose.
>
> My sympathies. A nightmare for you, and a nightmare for them too, although
> they probably don't know it yet ;-)
>
> If you still have access for a Frame 12 install, maybe Frame 15 -> Frame
> 12 -> Mif2GO -> Word might be feasible for you?
>
> --
> Steve
> listinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com

Lin Sims