[Framers] FrameMaker vs InDesign

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Fri Jun 23 08:54:48 PDT 2017

Good summary, David. I think I learned a couple of new points of comparison
between FM and ID beyond those in the several articles and discussions that
result from the Google search I suggested earlier.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM, David Creamer <IDEASlists at ideastraining.com
> wrote:

> I use, teach, and consult for both programs--just completed a 1400 page
> book
> in InDesign. When you say "publications", are you referring to books or
> magazine-type products? If the latter, generally InDesign would be a much
> better choice, but not having seen the publication I can only give
>
> For unstructured books, they can do many of the same things. For structured
> books, there is no question--FrameMaker is better.
>
> There are some of the things that come to mind (certainly not
> exhaustive...).
>
> FrameMaker
> Excels at complex Books since it can use groups, folders, and sub-Books;
> InDesign uses basic Book features (think Frame 7).
> Conditional text is more powerful for tables with conditional rows and
> columns; InDesign conditions apply to the entire table.
> Variables can include character styles and can break across lines;
> InDesign's variables can't.
> Can have table footnotes; InDesign doesn't have this feature.
> Can have run-in heads; InDesign does not offer this feature.
> Can have multiple indices; InDesign only has one. (There are awkward
> workarounds.)
>
> InDesign
> Typography is head-and-shoulders about Frame's and it's paragraph styles
> are
> more advanced with nested styles and GREP styles.
> Table formatting is more powerful with cell styles, but does not have table
> variables.
> Handles graphics better, especially oversized ones and graphics with
> transparency or layers.
> Better color handling for swatches, gradients, and spot colors; special
> effects built-in.
> Based-on master pages.
> Has options for having writers edit document without having InDesign,
> including InCopy, Em Software WordsFlow, and DTP Tools Annotations (the
> last
> one adds a feature built-into Frame).
> Cross-platform
> Multiple page sizes/orientation in same document.
> Undo's work for virtually anything.
> Generally, the Creative Cloud is a better option compared with the Tech.
> Communication Suite, at the same cost.
> Easy bleed, slug setup; preflight for document.
> EPUBs can include built-in animations.
> More off-the-shelf plug-ins and scripts available.
>
> Conversion
> "Free" option: Build InDesign template, export text as RTF; import into
> InDesign with styles, modify styles as needed.
> Fee-based option: DTP Tools MIF Filter <
> http://dtptools.com/product.asp?id=mfid>

​I mentioned the dtptools.com MIF Filter plug-in for InDesign in my earlier
post, but I think I omitted or inadvertently truncated the reference to my
detailed review of in a 2007 issue of InDesign Magazine. (I believe they
offer all back issues for sale.)​

​It's worth noting that their technical support folks are great and respond
quickly, with the caveat that they're in Europe, so USA-based workers
should allow for the time difference.​