[Framers] VSdocman Outputs to FM

cuc tu cuc2u at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 08:49:24 PST 2017

Hi All,

A software team manager came to me asking for help creating an API manual. They had a specialized developer create about 200 API's and they need a manual in about a week. The developer has no time for documentation. My programming skills are very limited, but I have some light experience with VBA and programming microcontrollers in C ala the typical maker movement. I'm not a programmer, so the developer has to contribute something to the effort. He has used VSdocman to get a start and can give me Word, xml, or HTML.

Because of the situation, I expect I will have to invent content for these APIs (they all look like small void functions to me), so I need to find a way to minimize the time to get any of these output types into my unstructured Frame template. The only solution I can think of is to write a script to replace all of the XML or HTML tagging with MML markup and then import that into FrameMaker, embed, and carry on the old fashioned way.

I have not really learned structure, but the damn has burst I know... Note that I actually wrote my own structured application and set up a structured document once many years ago. I kept the folder and tried opening the book again and was presented with a dialog to select the structured app. Several new Frame installs and lots of fog ended that journey.

Thanks for any tips.