[Framers] OT: ISP recommendations? -- Follow-up

D L Reynolds reynolds at semicool.com
Fri Mar 3 05:20:44 PST 2017

The following information regarding ISPs may or may not be helpful:

Many ISPs are owned by EIG, the parent company of HostGator and Sitelock, so I’ll be avoiding them. Here is a partial listing of the companies owned by EIG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group>

Some ISPs aren’t owned by EIG but partner with Sitelock; I’m avoiding them, also. https://www.sitelock.com/partner <https://www.sitelock.com/partner>

Mine is a WordPress site, and the WordPress people currently recommend four hosts for WP sites:
Bluehost (owned by EIG, so they’re out)
DreamHost (I’m currently leaning in this direction)
Flywheel
SiteGround

And if interested, postings from other people who have experienced the same problem I mentioned can be seen here — and plenty of other places, but this is a good (if long) summary. I don’t know if the practice described really is extortion, but it sure feels like it. http://www.hermesthemes.com/scam-alert-hostgator-sitelock-malware-extortion/ <http://www.hermesthemes.com/scam-alert-hostgator-sitelock-malware-extortion/>

Donna Reynolds