[Framers] FM 2017 Feature Request: Restore color and scaling to menu icons

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Tue Mar 28 09:45:52 PDT 2017

Hi, David:

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM, David Creamer <
ideaslists at ideastraining.com> wrote:

> I liked the color icons because it is easier for the (my?) brain to quickly
> recognize a color icon. For example, I just need to look for the red arrow
> for the file import icon. It takes less time to process.

Thanks for posting something on this thread to have differences about
without arguing!<G>

It's interesting how everyone has an individual favorite strategy of using
tools. As a trainer, one challenge is to offer students options and reasons
for each, so they can choose what works for them, not necessarily the
trainer's favorite.​

Although I'm kind of a visual thinker and learner, reading your post
reminds me that I usually think of the function or task first, then, how to
perform it. In this example, I'd think "file import" first, then...hmmm...?
Do I look for something red to mouse toward and click upon? Or do I type
Esc f i f, or Alt+f and a couple of DnArrow?

For icon clickers who rely on colors to identify tools and actions quickly,
yes, color matters a lot! They deserve the choice.

TGFO (thank goodness for options.)

I always liked Marshall McCluhan's recorded version of "The Medium is the
Message," in which he cites: "We shape our tools, and thereafter, our tools
shape us." Then he followed it with an echo-filtered version, "We *ape *our
tools, and thereafter, our tools *ape* us."