[Framers] Configuring FrameMaker default page size in Parallels

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue May 2 02:35:50 PDT 2017

Dear Frame Gurus

I'm recent to FrameMaker on Windows, but have been using FrameMaker itself since v 3 on Mac.

So I have no direct experience of the fminit (?) file (?) other than vaguely knowing of its existence. I need to do a trivial config to set the default page size to A4 rather than US Letter. I looked at the Adobe documentation, but the files it seemed to suggest I could modify (C:...FmInstallDir/fminit/maker) turned out to be a directory containing a couple of files that appear to be binary: tmpltbrw and tmpltbrw_s.

Can someone point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to changing the default printer page size, and/or the actual ASCII file for configuring FrameMaker's startup defaults? Or does this originate with Windows itself? I'm on Windows 7 Pro in Parallels Desktop 9.

I wouldn't mind so much if the page size was stored with the document, but it isn't.

--
Steve