[Framers] FrameMaker 7.2 Crashes

Bernard Aschwanden (Publishing Smarter) bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Tue May 16 06:39:01 PDT 2017

To add to my initial "upgrade" I will say that the click/drag bug was there
in some way in many versions. I would select a text frame, resize... crash.
I'd hold the button down, say a prayer, hope for the best... crash.

I found workarounds, but it just was a headache to do it every time. When it
crashed I was upset (see, nice and polite word) and expressed it (with words
that were NOT as nice and polite), and loved it when the bugs got fixed. I
have some clients still on versions 5 or 6 (and 7, 8, etc) but upgrading is
pretty simple in most cases, and the value in some incremental stuff may not
be there (some people stay with version X since version X+1 had minor
changes). However, jumping from a single digit version (7, 8, 9) to 2017 is
a major change.

If you do it, prepare to be frustrated by things moving on menus, but the
majority of the functions are still there. With 2017 there is enough (press
F7 almost anywhere to get a contextual menu of 'things you can do') that
makes it a major update, plus the first full quarterly patch is out so
initial bugs are resolved. Sure, there are still some things to deal with,
but it is a lot smoother than previous versions. Sounds weird to describe it
as such, but that's the best I have early in the day.

You can always download the trial, test it, and then decide. Like any new
product there will be the times you say "where is THAT thing I want", but it
is pretty sweet once it's running. Plus, if it does NOT do what you want,
just go back to the previous. As always, back up files before doing work,
and track what you do to ensure you can re-do it if you really need it in an
older version. Plus, there is always MIF.

Mileage will vary, but do consider the work to maintain a VM (I run a few of
them myself) as well as older software and the lack of support for them
after 5 or 10+ years of development into newer products.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bernard