[Framers] OT-Documenting APIs

Grant Hogarth grant at hedgewizard.net
Thu Nov 23 11:00:48 PST 2017

Hi Allison.
I've done a fair bit of API documentation, so feel free to ask me
questions.

The thing to remember is that basically an API doc is a cookbook. You
are providing the recipe and cooking instructions.

Most APIs these days are in some variant of XML (XML, YAML, YANG, etc.),
so being comfortable reading XML is a good start.  W3schools has really
good reference material.

The other big thing is being able to read the source material and parse
it out.
XSD files are often used for these, but so are .yang and .json files.
yang.org and json.org have good references.
There are two significant areas for TWs in the source.
1) the Description section.  This should clearly explain what the
element being described does.
2) the criteria section. This is basically everything else in the
element description.  While some programmers are really OCD about doing
a complete set, others are lazy (or have been distracted).
At a minimum, you need to check for
* name
* type (uint, date, string, etc.)
* units (if required)
* optional/required
* values and restrictions This can get broken out as min/max values,
default, special values (such as -1), etc. These may be separate items
or a single item.  You will often find this information buried in the
description, which is (IMO) not correct.
---
Depending on your application, there may be other types of values (for
example a mapping app might have directions), a financial app might have
currencies, etc.)

Note that the "type" may be something your dev team has cobbled up. If
so, you will need to find the file that they defined the type and then
locate the definition. (usually with a defType statement)

If you are doing RESTful APIs, check out
https://gist.github.com/iros/3426278

If you can pick your own tools, then grab a copy of Notepad++, if only
to use it as a scratch pad.

Once you have all tee information, then you need to work with your PM do
determine how much reference information you need to provide.  Much of
this (as always) depends on the target audience.  I've done really basic
stuff for experts, and full-on "this is what REST is and this is what a
.yang file looks like" material.  At the very least, you need to provide
information on how the users (usually developers, but not always), will
connect to your system, what files are required, what correct out put
will look line and so on.

That should get you started.